Saturday, October 9, 2010

Whatever works...


It's been a great week for Dad. Something I said last week led him to believe that he owns the place he lives in and that everyone works for him. He then continued to concoct a story that he inherited the entire place from his Dad and that it's his job to take care of it. THIS HAS MADE HIM VERY HAPPY and much less anxious -- whatever works!!! I didn't get one call from Whittier this week and the timing is great since Mom, Megan and I are leaving for five days to New York.

My Aunt Lisa came to visit Dad today with us and there was a big Oktoberfest celebration with authentic German dancing and Root Beer. He was in great spirits and started dancing so ridiculously during The Chicken Dance. We had all formed a circle when he broke free and started letting loose in the middle of the circle all while wearing this big floppy hat... I could NOT stop laughing.

The video below shows some of his great moves... too bad it cuts off right as he was about to enter the circle....

3 comments:

  1. Glad you could think of something that works. I figure God will forgive us for the little white lies we have to tell to keep them safe & somewhat happy. Unfortunately, my mom doesn't even remember where her room is - or that it is her room - even though all of her stuff is there including pics of her and all the family. Have a great time in New York!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I have to tell you how much I enjoyed this post. My Mom passed away 3 years ago from Alzheimer's. Some of my funniest memories are from her great exaggerations. I read somewhere that when they can't remember, they often invent their own memories.

    But, like you, I was happy it "worked." Mom was happy and who's to complain. Now, it brings so much happiness to remember those wild tales and stories that Mom invented.

    I was delighted to see that you appreciated your father's imagination as well.

    Sandy
    http://free-alzheimers-support.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy,
    Thank you for sharing the website... I find it very informative and will post it on my blog for others to find as well!!!

    ReplyDelete