Monday, October 4, 2010

Thank You!

I just got a personal phone call from the Alzheimer's Association branch in Irvine and the first thing out of his mouth was, "Wow!" (We're currently at $1405.00.) He thanked us for doing such a great job fund-raising for the Memory Walk and encouraged us to keep it up. In turn then, I need to thank all of you for your donations and support. We obviously couldn't do it without any of you. If you still want to donate you can click on the link to the right on the blog entitled Memory Walk - Join our Team. (you don't have to join the team to donate)

Another person I need to thank is Wendy from the VA in Austin. I am still dealing with all these hospital bills from when Dad had stitches after running away in April. The total amount comes to around almost $10,000 including the Ambulance Ride. Since Dad only has Medicare Part A and goes to VA for everything else, he qualifies for assistance from the VA to help cover the cost of those bills. I spent hours sending bills and information to the VA only to be written a letter saying that we were rejected because we were missing papers. Wendy was my savior last week. She told me what forms she needed and when the hospital billing office played dumb, she PERSONALLY called them and requested all the correct paperwork. As slow as the VA usually is with everything they do, Wendy made progress happen within in 30 minutes. I could not believe it. That was just the first step in getting these bills taken care of, but at least it's a step in the right direction!

If you read yesterday's blog, you know that my Dad had a special visit from his Brother Ron and his wife Linda. They drove down from Oxnard to see Dad and had this to say on my Facebook page... "
We r with Ron's brother David and he still has a great sense of humor and is good natured. Glad we r here."

Instantly I was happy and then I felt incredibly guilty and almost wanted to cry. All I've been doing is complaining about how annoying Dad is lately, but that message from Ron and Linda really got to me. Considering Dad has Alzheimer's and is frustrated and confused by his state of mind, where he is living, and the loss of control in his life, he really handles it pretty well most of the time. I need to remind myself that when I have 'Dad overload' to sit back and reassess the situation.

Obviously Ron and Linda only witnessed a few moments of Dad's life yesterday, but they could still see all of Dad's good traits shining through this disease. I know that Megan and I get the worst part because Dad needs to complain to someone and since we see him so often, we get the brunt of the complaints. I need to remember that Dad is struggling as much as Megan and I are with this disease. I'm sure he's scared sometimes too.

Wanted to share this picture of Dad with his brother Ron from yesterday.


5 comments:

  1. Oops, I also wanted to Thank Ron and Linda for coming down on their Sunday to visit Dad! It really made his day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! My mom has Alzheimer's and my sister & I laugh (and cry) a lot. she is in an assisted living (locked facility) but she escaped a few months ago and was found 2 miles away - she is 88 years old. She remembers the strangest things but forgets most everything else. thanks for helping me to remember to keep laughing, and thanking god for the ability to cope - most of the time.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    Doesn't it seem crazy that an 88 year old can get two miles away so fast? Thank you for sharing your story. It's nice to know there are other escapies out there. Sorry you are going through this, but you're lucky to have your sister helping you.

    p.s. Crossing my fingers, but my Dad hasn't really tried to escape for a while (he can move very fast). Hope the same thing is happening for your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks - I checked and there isn't a Memory Walk near us in Alabama so I donated to your team. Have fun and I will be following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Lisa! Hopefully by next year there will be a walk near you that you can participate in!!!

    ReplyDelete