Sunday, April 13, 2014

Alzheimer's Association Advocacy Forum in D.C.

My Trip to D.C. was everything I hoped it would be and more.  The first two days were spent 'training' for our final day on Capitol Hill.  There was an Advocate or Ambassador from all 50 states and in the case of more populated ones like California, there were even more.  I think our chapter (greater LA area) brought 23 people .  Total there were almost 1000 people there.  Two women in our group just lost their mother to the disease and then there were others who were personally battling the disease themselves.  We met a Father, age 51, who was diagnosed at age 47 with early on-set Alzheimer's.  His 18 year-old son and wife were with him and this was their 3rd year participating in the Forum. 

The emphasis this year was how we desperately need more support and funding from the Government to combat this disease.  Our collateral very clearly points out how Alzheimer's is helping to bankrupt our country -- the graphs and charts say it all.   We presented this collateral to our Congressman or Staff members, walked them through the handout, and then someone would share a personal story (I shared my story in all three meetings because it was the most powerful out of our group) and then we would ASK for what we need.  My spiel went something like this:

If there is one thing that you take away from this meeting today it's this:  Alzheimer's is the most expensive disease in the country with costs set to skyrocket in the years ahead.  Most of those costs are from Medicare and Medicaid.  1 in every 5 Medicare dollars is spent on someone with Alzheimer's.  
This year the disease will cost us $214 Billion with $150 Billion coming from Medicare and Medicaid.  Only 0.25% (a quarter of 1%) is currently committed to research.  That 0.25% is the ONLY way to reduce the costs.  
The Director of the National Institute of Health, Dr. Francis Collins, testified before the Senate Appropriations Committee in February and said "We are not, at the moment, limited by ideas. We are not limited by scientific opportunities.  We are not limited by talent.  We are, unfortunately, limited by resources to be able to move this enterprise forward at the pace that it could take."  
The good news is we know that smart government investments in research do work, for example, Cancer, HIV/AIDS, Cardiovascular...  We need that kind of investment to bring the costs of this disease down and to find a way to prevent, slow and cure Alzheimer's. 
(I then shared my story, especially how stressful the financial impact was on our family and then brought it back around to our ASK)
What we are asking for today is $200 million in funding for Alzheimer's research in Fiscal Year 2015.  Will you sign and send a letter to the Appropriations Committee supporting this?  (we got a yes in two meetings and a probably in the third meeting).

Our second ask is this:  in 2010 the National Alzheimer's Project Act (NAPA) was passed and in that Act there are timelines and milestones of how we are going to beat this disease with a goal of effectively treating and preventing Alzheimer's by 2025.  HOWEVER, the plan does not include a projection of the level of funding necessary to reach this goal.  Last week, the Alzheimer's Accountability Act was introduced which would require the scientists at the National Institute of Health to submit an annual Alzheimer's research budget proposal directly to Congress and the President.  This will inform Congress of what is needed to reach our goal of 2025 so that they can make an educated decision when deciding how much funding goes toward Alzheimer's research each year.  Will you be a Co-Sponsor of this bill?  (again we got a yes in two meetings and a probably in our third meeting.)

It sounds like a lot of overwhelming information but we were trained so well and the collateral was put together so precisely.  Our presentations were very clear and we didn't get a lot of clarifying questions.

The next 24 hours were spent exploring D.C.  The city is so clean, so safe, and so inspiring.  I can't wait to go back with Blake and Emry some day.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS. You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219.... 

    ReplyDelete