Sunday, December 9, 2012

Merry Christmas Dad

I am happy to share that I had a wonderful time with my Dad yesterday!  Valley View Gardens was having their huge family Christmas Party, and I was the singing entertainment.  Honestly, I didn't think my Dad would even notice that I was singing and I imagined him wandering off, losing interest, or even just falling asleep in his chair.  That was not the case at all.  My dad, the ham, made an appearance yesterday and it sent my heart soaring!

Right before I started singing, the Director introduced me and then gave a shout out to my Dad which resulted in applause from the audience.  Noticing the clapping, my Dad raised his head, looked around, and then put both hands to his mouth and blew a huge kiss to everyone.  The place erupted in laughter.  I think my mouth dropped open.  He was so alert and so funny.  It's been months since I've seen him that way.

Throughout the performance, Dad would smile at me, nod his head, raise his eyebrows up and down and then eventually started dancing and singing.  At one point we were holding hands and swaying to The Christmas Song... I think the lyrics were "And so I'm offering this simple phrase to kids from 1 to 92...." and I lost it.  The tears were suddenly in my eyes, and I just pulled Dad into a hug and we danced.  I didn't care who was watching, all I could think was how tough this year was.  So often the doctor's appointments and errands get in the way of quality time with him and he becomes a "patient" instead of my Dad.  When was the last time that we just had fun together?



So, Christmas came early for me and my Dad.  I know how blessed I am to have had that moment with him yesterday.  Those tidbits are few and far between now, but thanks to this blog, I'll be able to look back at this day and remember it vividly.   

Merry Christmas to everyone who supports us and follows our story.  Let me end this post with a little bit of 'baby love'.  :)


1 comment: