Tuesday, December 14, 2010

NAPA

I just finished calling my Representative, urging him to vote YES on NAPA (the National Alzheimer's Project Act) which is coming up for a vote this week in the House of Representatives and will do the following:

This legislation would create the country's first national office for government efforts to treat and prevent Alzheimer's disease. Within the Department of Health and Human Services, the National Alzheimer's Project Office would coordinate and oversee federal research on Alzheimer's disease to develop a plan to combat the disease and to eventually develop a cure.

AND it will not require any additional federal spending! Although I wouldn't mind a little extra federal spending if it meant finding a cure for Alzheimer's because the cost of Alzheimer's care in the future will far out-weigh the cost of research now.

I also got an email update about the Rose Bowl Parade Pfizer/Alzheimer's Association float. Here is some more information about it...

The first wave of baby boomers will begin turning 65 next year, advancing into the age of greater risk for developing Alzheimer's. The Alzheimer's Association and Pfizer have joined together to raise awareness about the disease by urging Americans that It's Time to Face Alzheimer's. Visitors to an interactive website can upload photos and share stories about their Alzheimer experience as part of a Faces of Alzheimer’s mosaic. This awareness effort culminates with a featured float, called The Boomer Express, in the nationally televised 122nd Tournament of Roses Parade on New Year's Day.

I will add a link to the right of the blog so that people can share their stories on the float and upload pictures just like I did!

In the meantime, Dad is doing great! Megan and I each go once a week right now and that seems to be just fine with him. We aren't getting numerous phone calls and when we visit with him, he seems happy and content. It's so nice to have this little break from the drama, although sometimes I almost feel like there's something missing in my life because we're not rushing to Whittier to pacify Dad or scheduling our whole week around him.

When Megan went to see him last week, she brought her dog Izzy and everyone loved spending time with a dog. This one lady who wears a moo-moo every day, loves animals, and every time we bring Izzy, she says, "There's nothing like a pet. There's nothing like an animal in the family." EVERY. TIME. Sometimes she will repeat herself in two minute increments, but it's really sweet and we can tell she misses having pets.

There's another woman that lives there who always asks us, "Have you seen Lolita?" or "Is Lolita over there?" We always figured this was some person from her past, but apparently Megan met Lolita the other day -- she is this woman's care-taker. Who would have known. It's difficult to know when these residents are talking nonsense or if they are speaking about reality.

Megan had a very funny and blog-worthy quote from Dad to share with everyone... she asked Dad the other day , "Isn't Veronica nice?" (Veronica is the Activities Coordinator.) Dad's answer was priceless.... he said matter-of-factly, "Yes, she keeps me with Jesus." Hahahaha!!! Now, most of you know my Dad isn't a religious man, and he always used to say, "I don't have to go to church, cause I'm perfect." So, we found this hysterical.

During my visit a couple of days ago, Dad was talking about his brother Doug and then asked me politely if I had a brother. I said, "Kind of." I do have a half brother (my Dad's son) but I have no relationship with him, so that is why I answered that way. Anyway, I told Dad, "You know, David. Remember David and Kelly." He repeated David, but pointed to himself. He couldn't comprehend that he has a son with the same name as himself. He doesn't remember he has a son. Most of the time, he doesn't really understand that he's our Dad either. He knows we have a special relationship, but he doesn't understand the extent of that relationship.

Anyway, it's nice to see Dad feeling like he is at home. He's h
appy and that's all a girl can ask for, right?

Below is a picture of Dad in the Christmas Spirit!








No comments:

Post a Comment